Re: dvips/mf probs

    Hunter> kpathsea: Running MakeTeXMF cmti9.mf I don't know how to
    Hunter> generate cmti9.mf!  ! I can't find file `cmti9.mf'.  <*>

Your system is not finding the standard TeX fonts (with extension
.mf).  Probably they are missing, since I don't see how they'd just be
in the wrong place.  Make sure you have not deleted your file
/usr/lib/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf, this is the master configuration file
that says where everything is.

So probably you need to reinstall the Debian package mfbasfnt and try again.