deb modules

I'm having major difficulties setting up networking on my new deb
partition.  I am going back to basics.  Can someone answer these issues,
so I know I have the fundamentals correct?

1.  I am compiling 1.3.32, since it works well with my aha2940 SCSI.  If
I want ppp, cslip, slip, etc... and I want to use dip, do I say 'NO' to
the question on modules in the make config?  Do I then say 'NO' when I am
asked about including ppp, slip, etc...?

2.  Do I then rerun lilo, and reboot the new kernel?

3.  Do I then do a make modules, and make modules_install?

4.  Does all this work with 1.3.32?  Is the proper version of
modules-xxx-tgz included in the deb packages?

Thanks for any feedback on these issues.

Rick Stiphout