GNU finger bizarro under Linux...

I'm having some problems getting the GNU finger server daemon `fingerd'
to run for any extended period of time.  I've applied the patch found
in procps-0.92 to the GNU source for version 1.37.  Everything compiles
fine, and everything works fine for awhile... but `fingerd' crashes
very easily.

It's quite strange, actually, because it runs just fine when root is
the only user logged into the system.  I started it last night before I
went to bed with only root logged in, and found it still running when I
awoke.

But here's where it gets strange... the minute I log in as anyone
besides root... crash!  It dies.  And I'm stumped.

Anyone out there running GNU finger 1.37 successfully under Linux?  I'd
appreciate knowing how this is accomplished. :)  I really want to use
this in Debian.

Thanks,

Ian