On things

In your message of Tue, 01 Feb 1994 22:36:00 PST, you write:
+---------------
| > What was "the entirely shameful Perl rewrite"? Is anything done
| > voluntarily really shameful, even if it isn't as good as one might
|
| It is shameful because Ian was criticized for use of a Bourne shell
| script, the issue was debated, and Ian believed that the people who
| told him that Perl was the way to go would do more than volunteer.
| Volunteering is easy if you never do the work.

This may be because I engaged one of the volunteers in mail and explained why
it wasn't such a good idea.  One idea he floated was to save space by dumping
the *shell* and rewriting all the shell scripts as Perl scripts... imagine
having to track down all the scripts on the boot floppy plus all the package
install scripts and rewrite them to not require any shell.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery	   kf8nh@kf8nh.ampr.org		 bsa@kf8nh.wariat.org
"MSDOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten years