Updated infos [was: Re: UMTS in Turkey?]

Merhaba *,

        GPRS     84 kBit     53 kBit    38-53 kBit

        EDGE    285 kBit    200 kBit     none

        UMTS     none        none       384 kBit (W-CDMA)
                                     but Vodaphone upgrade to TD-SCDMA
                                     in 06/2000 which is called UMTS
                                     v2 with 1,8 MBit.
                                     Yeah, germans are really crazy

Cheapest EDGE-Provider in France is Bouygues Telecom with 79€/130 YTL
per month which is acceptable for non limited traffic.  VoIP, P2P and
streaming is not allowed.  The PCMCIA card (Sierra Wireless) including
the SIM is free of charge for this Abonement... (Abo exist in 5/20/50MB
for 13/19/27| per month to but PCMCIA+SIM is around 100€)

Solution:  Get the PCMCIA for free with an 79€ abo and then 1 month
later change it to 5/20/50 MB...  :-P  You can change it at any moment
so I can use it for example now in France unlimited with 79€ and if I
go to Turkey I change it to 5 MB/month and if I come back I can change
it back to unlimited.

In Germany there is only Vodaphone which offer heavy reductions on GPRS
(as Fallback) and UMTS.  But the tarif is more complicated...  If you
are in your "home-zone" (this is where you live (telephone prefix) you
can get 5000 MBytes or 50 Hours for 30€. The PCMCIA-Card plus SIM is
49€.  If you are in the volume tarif and exceed the 5000MByte, you pay
0,25€/MB.  Access to UMTS outside the "home-zone" is really expensive.
1,86 €/MByte.  But there is a "home-zone" independant abo where you pay
1 € for the PCMCIA-Card plus SIM and then monthly 7€ plus volume or
time tarif. 1000 MByte or 100 hours are 104,40 €/Month and you pay
0.58 € for each MByte or 10 minutes more.

Oh yes, the price for UMTS will not change if they increase the speed
from 384 kBit to 1,8 MBit.

OK, It seems, that I will use Turkcell because the support EDGE and it
is faster.

It is realy interesting, to see the price politic in different
countries.

And there is one thing: The frenchies has lost the judgement in the EU
and MUST open the Telecom market, because there was currently a monopol
between France Telecom/Orange, Bougues and SFR.

Now in several month the End-Users will benefit from the judgement.

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi