Re: UMTS in Turkey?

Merhabalar,

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 09:21:09AM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Merhaba Mehmet,
>
> Am 2006-01-30 18:13:07, schrieb Mehmet Turker:
> > Bu Turkcell  has TurkcellConnect Mobile Modem Cards.It uses GPRS/EDGE.
> >
> > http://www.turkcell.com.tr/index/0,1028,300405,00.html
> >
> > Mehmet
> ------------------------- END OF REPLYED MESSAGE -------------------------
>
> I have checked...
> In March I will come to Turkey (Denizli) now I need a PCMCIA-Card
> which support GPRS+EDGE. Later Protocol is not availlable in France
> and Germany so I do not know, which PCMCIA Card to buy...
>
> Can you recommend some?

Alternatively, If you have a mobile phone that supports bluetooth
and gprs and bluetooth support on your computer (or instead of
bluetooth a cable with which you can access your phone's AT
command interface), you do not need a modem card.

I generally use the above method with a pre-paid Turkcell
subscription while I'm in Turkey. The rates are not the best,
however, I find it affordable if you are using it to check your
e-mail now and then. And except the special offer of first 5MB
free, you get the same rates anyway.

> Whats the price of the PCMCIA-Card selled be Turkcell (Abo: GPRScell).
> Now I have to check the curence TL/Euro because for the first 5 MByte
> are 0,00180 TL/kByte.

Note that this price is for regular subscriptions. If you are
planning to use a a pre-paid card, it is more expensive. 1 unit
per 60k (the tokens for pre-paid cards are sold in 100/250/500
units, and last time I bought it was around 0.1YTL per unit).

> And what is YTL and DK?
>
> YTL seems to be a the new currency in TR.

You are right about YTL. DK is probably an abbreviation for
dakika (minute).

Hope this helps,
--
cagri