Problems with umlauts in dc_gui2

A few days ago, after an upgrade of dcgui and the GTK2 libs, I noticed
that if a string (i.e. a message, a nickname, a filename) contains
Swedish umlauts[1] (or probably any non-ASCII character), the text in
that string isn't shown (it takes up place but I can't see it).
And if I try to send a message with umlauts dcgui crashes.

However, I can enter and see umlauts in text entries (the search field
for example).

If I turn on "Use UTF8 characters" the situation gets somewhat better;
the umlauts still makes the strings invisible, but I can send (and see
my own) messages with umlauts.

Has anyone else noticed these problems too?

I'm using

  dcgui v0.70
  dctc v0.84.1
  libgtk2.0-0 v2.2.0-3