Re: slow, slow, slow debian

W liście z pią, 14-03-2003, godz. 21:54, luke pisze:
> Hello
>
> My Linux Debian (woody 3.0.0) is very slow. I don't know why. I have

Hi Luke!

First of all - this is _polish_ (and not polish like in 'to polish
shoes' ;-) email group so you'd better go somewhere else asking in
english since you won't get answers in english!

Your problems are due to the graphics drivers you have installed in
X-Windows system. Your X-Windows displays everything using software
rendering. You have to switch to original NVidia drivers. They are not
included by default because they are not free software. You can download
them from NVdidias site: http://www.nvidia.com/ I recomend you to read a
README file included with them and maybe some english tutorials avaiblem
on the net on how to install nvidia binary drivers for linux.

Gnome generally runs slow ;-) You may change it to the newest Gnome 2.2
(you can download it:
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8212380009.html) although I wouldn't
recommend that. You should better install newest KDE 3.1 (from
http://www.kde.org/ - woody version). It looks (and works) better for a
common Windows user.

Your system start isn't slow! 30s is OK. Linux is diffrent to Windows as
it is designed to be a server system where bootime isn't a matter of a
great importance. To improve start time you can get rid of unsed servers
(for example nfsd, smdb (if you don't have windows network), ftpd, ...)

regards,

cayco