Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 18:59:32 -0500 (EST)
From: hilliard@metrolink.net (Robert D. Hilliard)
CC: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Upgrading HOWTO?

     Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> has written a script, autoup.sh to
automatically make the upgrade following the libc5-libc6-upgrading-HOWTO.
A number of people have contributed to debugging and extending this
script.  It can be used to upgrade from either rex or bo.  Alex
Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> has done some work on adapting this
to upgrade from buzz, but I don't know if he was sucessful.

     Version 0.17 of this script is available from Craig at
http://www.taz.net.au/autoup or from Scott Ellis at
{http,ftp}://stormcrow.ml.org/pub/debian/autoup/ .

     When I made a test upgrade last Friday, I found some bugs in
v0.17, and modified it to 0.18, which I successfully tested on both
rex and bo.  I sent a diff against 0.17 to Craig and to the testing
list, but this is not yet reflected in the two ftp sites listed
above.  I am sending you a copy of these diffs by private mail to save
bandwidth on the list.

     IMHO this script, or something similar must be distributed with
hamm.

Bob

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@molec2.dfis.ull.es> wrote:

> I've been through our FTP archive and web site looking for the
> information on how to upgrade from an old version of Debian (say 1.2, or
> 1.1) to 2.0, and haven't found much. (There's an open bug report against
> boot-floppies about that stuff).
>
> We have the libc5-libc6-upgrading-HOWTO, but that only covers 1.3.1->2.0
> transition. There used to be a 1.2->1.3 upgrading recipe in previous
> bo/disks-i386/* directories, but it is not in the current one (Santiago
> Vila sent me a copy, so I can send it back to the archive if needed).
>
> I think we should keep that documentation around where our users could
> find it easily, in the FTP archive (perhaps in a subdirectory under
> doc/), and in the WWW pages, don't you think so?.
>
> 	Thanks,
> --
> Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
> Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna

<-------

Bis bald
       Christian

--