---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Fellowship of FSFE <email@example.com>
Subject: FSFE seeking to hire Executive Director
To: Pere Nubiola i Radigales <firstname.lastname@example.org
Growth and increased maturity has made it necessary for us to look at
hiring an Executive Director. The necessary changes in our statutes were
made at the 2008 General Assembly, and we would like to fill this
position for (or before) the 2009 General Assembly, 19-21 June in
Miraflores de la Sierra, Spain.
Below you will find a profile of what FSFE is looking for.
FSFE is a truly exciting and fun place to work, with good challenges and
opportunities. If you think that you could fill this profile, or know
someone who does, please consider to apply or forward this profile to
people you think might be suitable candidates.
Thanks a lot for helping us find the best possible candidate!
FSFE was established in 2001 as a multi-cultural distributed
organisation with volunteers and staff distributed across various
European countries. Its approach is that of a result driven NGO with
emphasis on constructive dialogue for lasting political and legal
change. As an environment FSFE has grown out of the Free Software
community and is ideally suited to motivated individuals capable of
driving projects and initiatives forward.
It will be the responsibility of the Executive Director to coordinate
FSFE's day-to-day affairs through working with a mixed team of
volunteers and employees. Further responsibilities include management
of the organisational assets according to the priorities set by the
General Assembly and coordination of the Executive Council.
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the
a) Coordination of the Executive Council, consisting of Executive
Director, President and Vice President;
b) Coordination and motivation of mixed teams, including both
volunteers and staff;
c) Planning, budgeting and executing projects to reach strategic
objectives of the organisation;
d) Controlling the cash flow and budgeting of the organisation;
d) Reporting to the General Assembly about fulfillment of strategic
objectives, and potential adjustments during the year;
e) Representation of the organisation towards the public;
f) Fundraising and representation towards donors;
- Work with the General Assembly to determine priorities and identify
ways to achieve objectives.
- University degree, or similar
- Knowledge of Free Software Community
- Business experience and understanding of non-profit management
- Knowledge of financial management and accounting
- Knowledge of staff management
- Proficient in use of Free Software applications, such as GNU/Linux,
OpenOffice.org and others.
- Proficient in English
- Additional languages are beneficial, especially German
- Good communicator and interpersonal skills
- Result-oriented team player
- Good organisation and structuring skills
- Problem solving ability
- The executive director usually works in an office environment, but
the mission of the organization may sometimes take them to non
standard workplaces. Work from the home office is possible.
- The executive directors works a standard work week, but
additionally will regularly have work on evenings, weekends, and
overtime hours to accommodate activities such as meetings of the
General Assembly and representing the organisation at public
- The position of Executive Director will provide many opportunities
to work in a stimulating environment with people from different
cultures on relevant issues that will continue to affect our
societies for the decades to come.
- FSFE is unique in its structure and work as a decentralised
international organisation with different activities and a mix of
enthusiastic volunteers and staff in various countries.
- FSFE offers the opportunity to meet people from different areas of
competency, and the chance to learn much about a variety of areas,
such as technology, politics, and law.
- FSFE provides a high-responsibility and high-opportunity
environment for people who like to work self-motivated and enjoy to
shape their own working environment and projects to a high degree.
- The legal statutes of FSFE, which also partially define the role of
the Executive Director, are available online at
- FSFE's financial development over the past years is available at
How to apply:
If you are interested in the position, please direct your application
to the FSFE Executive Council at <email@example.com
>, including a
current CV and a letter of motivation. Please provide all information
in Open Standards and do not send Microsoft Word documents.
We will review all applications and seek personal interviews with the
most promising applicants. In case you are accepted for the position,
you should be prepared to join the General Assembly 19-21 June in
Miraflores de la Sierra, Spain.
Georg C. F. Greve <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Free Software Foundation Europe (http://fsfeurope.org)
President +41 43 500 03 66 ext 400