The need to retool [binutils|gcc]-source during package builds

Hi,

I'm using binutils-source and gcc-10-source to build open-ath9k-htc-firmware
and would like to clarify the best practice for using these packages,
although the cross compiler I build gets disposed of after built time (since
it's custom-patched and not useful for other things).

To enable building on new architectures and such, is one still expected to
retool Autotools, replace config.sub and config.guess, and mitigate the
embedded code copies?

The trouble is that the *-source packages don't seem to depend on all the
build dependencies to regenerate the autogenerated files, so substvars or
adding them would be helpful to make this more practical.

Otherwise if best practice isn't so clear-cut then I won't worry about it for
now :)

Thanks,
John