Subject: Re: Debian error
Local Time: 29. März 2017 1:58 AM
UTC Time: 28. März 2017 23:58
From: norbert@preining.info
To: Nilsfortheinternet <nilsfortheinternet@protonmail.com>
Hilmar Preuße <hille42@web.de>, debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org <debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org>

Hi Nils,

now from the normal computer and not mobile ;-)

> pdflatex, xelatex, latex displayed: LaTeX2e <2017/01/01> patch level 3 during running,
>
> while lualatex displayed: LaTeX2e <2016/03/31> patch level 3

Because
kpsewhich -engine=luatex lualatex.fmt
will give you
/home/nils/.texlive2016/texmf-var/web2c/luatex/lualatex.fmt
instead of the correct system wide format dump.

As I said, the second line is the problem:

> INPUT /home/nils/.texlive2016/texmf-var/web2c/luatex/lualatex.fmt

You have once upon a time called
fmtutil
instead of
fmtutil-sys
and thus have switched to user mode for this format, meaning that
all system wide updates are hidden.

(TL2017 will changes something here to make it more difficult for
users to shoot themselves in the knee)

BY removing the above .fmt file, and maybe any other .fmt file
under
/home/nils/.texlive2016/texmf-var/web2c/
you can go back to normal.

All the best

PREINING Norbert http://www.preining.info
Accelia Inc. + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Developer
GPG: 0x860CDC13 fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0 ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13