Re: [RFC] TL2013 and again a new layout?

Hi,

please keep the ML on Cc.

On Mo, 29 Apr 2013, Eythan Weg wrote:
>    > Perhaps I miss something....  Take the context package as an
>    > example.  At the moment it is installed in /usr/share/texmf.
>    > If you decide to abandon it as a debian package,
>
>    Who said that?
>
>    Have you seen context files under the Debian/TL hierarchy?
>
> /usr/share/texmf currently contains tex/context, a debian
> package.  My understanding is that /usr/share/texmf under
> the revision will contain everything, i.e texlive too.

Yes, the Debian/TeX Live packages which *do*not*contain* ConTeXt.
That is why I wrote:
	Have you seen context files under the Debian/TL hierarchy?
The ConTeXt files, as well as many other files, are left out of the
Debian TeX Live packages just *because* they are packaged separately.

> I also see that texlive currently contains texmf.  Do you
> mean that under a revision, this would be the debian tree?

Whatever you mean with "the debian tree". All the packages related
to TeX would install into /usr/share/texmf. That is all.

> Perhaps a  more detailed description of  what you have
> in mind, is useful, just to elicit well-considered

Simply: Move all the files currently under /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist
into /usr/share/texmf.

The split was from times when we had tetex and texlive, but that is
long gone, and I am quite sure there will be no other packaging
of TeX related files soon.