Re: texlive-lang-french and babel (texlive-latex-base) improvement

Le 24/11/2012 01:32, Norbert Preining a écrit :
> Hi Patrick,
>
> First of all - in the described case you got a big fat warning ... right?
>
> (/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/babel.def)
>
> Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for
> (babel)                the language `French'
> (babel)                I will use the patterns loaded for \language=0 instead.
>
> *************************************
>
> I think this is enough warning.
> If you used a front end that did *not* inform you about this warning,
> the front end should be fixed.

Yes, I have

> On Do, 22 Nov 2012, Patrick GOLDBRONN wrote:
>
>> So if we forget (as me) to install texlive-lang-french, we could use
>> \babel{french} without the right hyphenation rule :-(
>>
> As Frank said, the one is a necessary part of babel, the other is not.
> So no way for that.
>
> Sorry.

I understand, but it's a bit confusing for newbee.
Perhaps babel could send an error rather a warning (as other command ask
for not found file) or do no hyphenation at all rather false one ?

Thanks for your attention.

Patrick