Re: TL2012: lintian warnings

Hi you two,

On Do, 08 Mär 2012, Mitsuya Shibata wrote:
> I checked some lintian warnings for TL2012/texlive-binaries.

Thanks. IN general I propos to carry these questions up to
the TeX Live main mailing list. My feeling is that not much will
change, unless for *most* of the errors someone contacts the *real*
upstream, i.e., the author of the program who is also maintaining
(or not maintaining) the man page. For man pages only managed
and kept in TeX Live, I can myself apply changes and fixes to them
in uptream svn.

> manpage-section-mismatch usr/share/man/man1/detex.1.gz:1 1 != 1L
> - texk/datex/datex.man has section "1L" in head of the file.
>   However Makefile make name to "detex.1". Which do we should?
> 1. Ignore with override.
> 2. Change section in file, need patch for detex.1
> 3. Rename file to detex.1l, need patch for Makefile.am.

Probably has to go upupstream detex, not upstream texlive

> manpage-has-errors-from-pod2man usr/share/man/man1/dvilj.1.gz:689
> - texk/dviljk/dviljk.pod missis last close list tag(==back).
>   Therefore dvilj.man which is generated by pod2man remain error message.
> 1. Modify pod file, but to recreate man file, we needs add
>    --enable-maitainer-mode to ./configure.
> 2. Modify man file, this POD ERROR has no mean for man format.

upupstream dviljk, if it still exists?

> manpage-has-errors-from-man usr/share/man/man1/etex.1.gz 98: warning:
> macro `rb' not defined
> - Its warning for debian/man-pages/etex.1. However there is
>   more new man file in texk/web2c/man/etex.man, and it has
>   no warning. Please drop debian's man file.

done.

> manpage-has-bad-whatis-entry usr/share/man/man1/mendex.1.gz
> manpage-has-errors-from-man usr/share/man/man1/mendex.1.gz 10: warning
> [p 1, 2.2i]: can't break line
> - texk/mendexk/mendex.1 is EUC-JP(not UTF-8).
>   It seems that man and lexgrog cannot parse "mendexk \- EUCJPedTEXT".
>   Do you know current lexgrog can parse EUC-JP correctly?
>   Or are there any other EUC-JPed man files?

For Debian the man page should be converted to UTF8, but that will not
happen upstram. Maybe we have to add some recode (uaaahhh)

> manpage-section-mismatch usr/share/man/man1/mendex.1.gz:3 1 != L
> - mendex.1's section set to "L"(LaTeX?).
>   As same detex.1, we has three options.
> 1. Ignore with override.
> 2. Change section in file, need patch for mendex.1
> 3. Rename file to mendex.L(I haven't see), need patch for Makefile.am.

mendex has probably also a man page in the Debian mendexk package,
worth a check.

> manpage-has-errors-from-man usr/share/man/man1/synctex.1.gz 3:
> warning: macro `Th' not defined
> - ".Th" is reviced to ".TH" in texk/web2c/synctexdir/man1/synctex.1.

I don't understand that ... so it is to be ignored, or fixed?

> manpage-section-mismatch usr/share/man/man1/texlinks.1.gz:1 1 != 8
> - It seems that texlinks is command for sysadmins.
> 1. If so, we should patch to texk/tetex/Makefile.am to change section.
> 2. If not so, we should patch to texk/tetex/texlinks.man to change section.

In Upstream TeX Live we only have section 1 and section 5 man pages,
nothing else is currently supported. And I am not sure if we want
to introduce that.

> manpage-has-errors-from-man usr/share/man/man1/xdvi.1.gz 51: warning:
> macro `#' not defined
> - texk/xdvik/xdvi.1 is generated by texk/xdvik/mksedscript in Makefile.
>   It seems that two consecutive #endif in line 1501 and 1674 is reason.

Umpf, aha.

> manpage-has-errors-from-man usr/share/man/man5/synctex.5.gz  Using a
> macro as first argument cancels effect of .Li (#61)
> - There are many warnings in texk/web2c/synctexdir/man5/synctex.5.
>   And debian/man-pages/synctex.5 does not need anymore (same as upstream).

removed the debian one.

> manpage-has-errors-from-man usr/share/man/man5/updmap.cfg.5.gz 74:
> warning: macro `..' not defined
> - At line 74 in texk/tetex/updmap.cfg.5, there is "..." at head of line.
>   We need to avoid to use ".(not macro)" at head of line.

That can be fixed upstream texlive

On Mi, 07 Mär 2012, Frank Küster wrote:
> I think you can also add formats in you user-specific fmtutil.cnf and
> create the links with texlinks.  However, IMO this utility is useless
> for interactive use (if I can define a new format, I can make the
> symlink to the engine faster than remembering the existence of texlinks,
> let alone its syntax) and today of NO use for scripts.
>
> Why not drop it upstream?

Please propose it there ... but I am not sure if we still use it
somewhere (install-tl or so?)

SCRONKEY (n.)
Something that hits the window as a result of a violent sneeze.