Re: TL2012 status 2012-02-28

> Hi Frank,
>
> On Di, 28 Feb 2012, Frank Küster wrote:
>> Seems still to be broken - there's no update-texmf in v3/scripts (and
>> hence texlive-binaries' postinst fails).  Can we just copy it from
>
> What fails there? Here it does not fail, or did you try to *upgrade*.

Ah, sorry, I noticed the error.  There are no binaries for i386 there,
and therefore aptitude first wants to do nothing, and as the second
choice tries installing texlive-base 2012 along with texlive-binaries
2009...

> Why are you strongly *against* transition away form it?

One the one hand, I fear that things might break (where "things" are
most problably other TeX-related packages).  On the other hand

> I would propose a adical approach: move everything into a
> DISABLED dir and tell the admin he should move changes to a new
> texmf.cnf.

... I fear having to argue with people who believe that this violates
"changes must be preserved upon upgrade" in Policy.

> Come on, *nobody* changes texmf.cnf anyway, why keep it there?!?!

See e.g. #656180

And

shell_escape = f
shell_escape_commands =
openout_any = p
openin_any = a

etc.

Frank Küster
Sprecher B90/Grüne OV Miltenberg und Umgebung
VCD Miltenberg, ADFC Aschaffenburg-Miltenberg
Debian Developer (TeXLive)