Re: Improvements to http://tug.org/texlive/debian.html

On 18 January 2012 23:37, Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> wrote:
> On Mi, 18 Jan 2012, Reuben Thomas wrote:
>> I'm quite happy to make them myself if you like. When I say they will
>
> Go ahead, here is the original html. And thanks for that.

Attached, an updated version. So far I have only changed the bits
about installing vanilla TeX Live (including the paragraph just before
"Some Documentation").

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org
Title: Debian support - TeX Live - TeX Users Group

TeX Live and Debian/Ubuntu

Status of packages in Debian:
oldstable: TeX Live 2007
stable: TeX Live 2009
testing and unstable: TeX Live 2009

Ubuntu: Ubuntu 10.4 LTS and up have TL 2009. Prior versions have TL 2007.

Introduction

Here you can find information on the Debian packaging of the TeX live system, but also on how to install a "vanilla" TeX Live on your Debian system.

Please use the Debian Bug Tracking System for reporting bugs of the packages.

For the changes since the last version please see the website of the package QA tracking system texlive-base, texlive-bin, texlive-extra, texlive-lang, texlive-doc.

If you are interested in contributing to this project, please contact the Debian TeX Task Force at debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org. You can take a look at the svn repository, either on the web or via svn://svn.debian.org/debian-tex/texlive2009 (both for TeX Live 2009, for TeX Live 2007 use texlive-new).

We recommend using the distribution-provided TeX Live packages, but if you want or need vanilla TeX Live, for example to get the latest version or to use the tlmgr package manager, we provide instructions to integrate it with Debian.

Some Documentation

The Debian TeX Task Force has written two documents on TeX on Debian, available in the tex-common package.

For those not using Debian we provide these pages here, too:
Developers' Documentation: Debian TeX Policy
Sysadmins'/Users' Documentation: TeX on Debian

Talk at the EuroBachoTeX 2007: TeX (Live) on Debian

Installation

Installation is easy: Just call

	apt-get update
	apt-get install texlive
Which will bring you: texlive-latex-recommended, texlive-fonts-recommended, texlive-latex-base, texlive-base. You can go on and install additional packages (like texlive-latex-extra) and additional languages (like texlive-lang-german) and additional documentation (like texlive-doc-en).

If you want to have a system closely mirroring a TeX Live DVD, you can install the texlive-full packages, which pulls in all packages.

	apt-get install texlive-full

Integrating vanilla TeX Live with Debian

First, install vanilla TeX Live. To integrate with Debian, it should be installed system-wide as root. Then, perform the following steps:

  1. Ensure that only Debian TeX Live packages installed are tex-common, texlive, and perhaps lmodern (if you want those fonts to be available system-wide and not just for TeX).
  2. Add TeX Live's bin directory to ENV_PATH in /etc/login.defs.
  3. Tell APT about your TeX Live installation by building a dummy package using equivs:
    $ aptitude install equivs # as root
    mkdir /tmp/tl-equivs && cd /tmp/tl-equivs
    equivs-control texlive-local
    # edit texlive-local (see below)
    $ equivs-build texlive-local
    $ sudo dpkg -i texlive-local_2011-1_all.deb

    At the step "edit texlive-local", edit the Maintainer field and the list of the packages provided by your local TeX Live installation as appropriate. If you installed scheme-full except collection-texinfo as recommended, the file should look like this example.

Thanks

I would like to thank Frank Küster, Sebastian Rahtz and Karl Berry for supporting me in all the work!

That's it, enjoy it!

$Date: 2012/01/18 22:49:12 $;