Re: Improvements to http://tug.org/texlive/debian.html

On 18 January 2012 22:51, Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> wrote:
> Hi THomas,

(Reuben!)

> thaks for the suggestions.

You're welcome. The page is much improved. I have some further
suggestions to improve the instructions for installation of vanilla
TeX-Live.

First, rewrite the following paragraph:

We recommend using the distribution-provided packages, but if you like
playing around we provide instructions for installing your own vanilla
TeX Live on your Debian system.

as:

We recommend using the distribution-provided TeX Live packages, but if
you want or need vanilla TeX Live, for example to get the latest
version, or to use the new package manager, [tlmgr], we provide
[instructions] to integrate it with Debian.

(Note: links are marked with []; the link for tlmgr comes from the
section "Vanilla TeX Live on Debian".)

Then, rename the section "Vanilla TeX Live on Debian" to "Integrating
Vanilla TeX Live with Debian".

Rewrite the paragraph:

If you need or want to use the upstream TeX Live (with its new package
manager, tlmgr) on your Debian system, you need to install it yourself
(quick install instructions). Here is some advice in order for your
local TeX Live installation to work fine with your Debian system.

as:

First, [install] vanilla TeX Live. To integrate with Debian, it should
be installed system-wide as root. Then, perform the following steps:

(Note: the link for [install] is the same as the current "quick
install instructions" link.)

Next, replace the numbered list and the following paragraphs with the following:

1. Ensure that only Debian TeX Live packages installed are tex-common,
texlive, and perhaps lmodern (if you want those fonts to be available
system-wide and not just for TeX).

2. Add the TeX Live's bin directory to ENV_PATH in /etc/login.defs.

3. Tell APT about your TeX Live installation by building a dummy
package using equivs:

$ aptitude install equivs # as root
mkdir /tmp/tl-equivs && cd /tmp/tl-equivs
equivs-control texlive-local
# edit texlive-local (see below)
$ equivs-build texlive-local
$ sudo dpkg -i texlive-local_2009-1_all.deb

At the step "edit texlive-local", edit the Maintainer field and the
list of the packages provided by your local TeX Live installation as
appropriate. If you installed scheme-full except collection-texinfo as
recommended, the file should look like [this example].

This should be shorter and simpler, and help especially less-experienced users.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org