Re: TL 2011 packaging

On Sa, 28 Mai 2011, Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> Good morning, Norbert,

Good evening.

> > 	texlive-base-2011/archive/*.tar.xz
> > 	texlive-base-2011/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb
> > 	texlive-base-2011/tlpkg/TeXLive/*
> > for each included package. So a slice of the tlnet dir with all
> > packages not included removed.
>
> Not sure I get it... Is that, for each package included in texlive there
> is a .tar.xz while texlive.tlpdb and tlpkg/TeXLive/* hold structural
> data for texlive itself?

Yes, exactely. That is the primary distribution media of TL, please
see CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet/

> > texlive-base-2011.debian.tar.gz contains
> >   	texlive-base-2011/additional-files-$binpackage.tar
> > for files we have to move/add or do anything else
> > 	texlive-base-2011/debian/*
>
> I was thinking (but maybe I misunderstood you) that using source format
> 3.0 would help us out already. Additionally to the orig.tar.gz there can
> be unlimited amounts of *.tar.gz (or bzip2 of course), one of which is

Not really, because we don't have nice version numbers.

Well, in principle we could:
- rename the .tar.xz (is .xz allowed in dh7?) to
	(e.g.) 12many_2011.2011.05.29.orig.tar.xz
  where the first 2011 is the general revision number, and the second
  is the date from which we took the tlnet mirror (which is updated
  daily).

> >   	texmf-dist (TeX Live proper)  ---> /u/s/texmf-texlive (Debian)
> > 	texmf      (TeX Live proper)  ---> /u/s/texmf (Debian)
>
> Is upstream using such logic or why do have to put up with such in the

Yes, upstream has texmf and texmf-dist, that are related to the kpathsea
vars
	TEXMF
	TEXMFDIST

> > - unxz/tar the additional-files-$binpackage.tar if present into
> >   debian/$package/
>
> What additional files are we talking about?

We might ship something else ... and might have to move some
files around a bit ... you never know.

> > - move the doc files (do not use the above for that) to the appropriate
> >   place (doc splitting or independent package)
>
> I thought the doc-splitting was a license issue and had to be done while
> creating the source package...

No, the licensing issue is irrelevant here, that is fullfilled because
we recommend the doc packages (we have decided so).

It is only about practical purposes.

> > - move info files to appropriate places

good thing is that we don't have to care for anything else anymore.

> > - generate license information from texlive.tlpdb, fix man pages etc etc
> >
> > - run dh_ scripts
> >
> > The tpm2deb-bin.cfg would contain only
> > 	blacklist;file;		(or equivalent)
> > 	mapping;		(or equivalent)
> > what remains in the current situation is
> > - special;.*/([^/]*\.info);install-info;
> > 	see above, special rules or tpm2deb-bin action
>
> Now I'm really confused... The blacklisting, is it done when creating
> the source package, i.e. the blacklisted package never get uploaded, or
> are they part of the source package but don't make it into binary
> packages?

There might be single files which we have to blacklist, but not the
whole package. We have two levels of blacklist.

> Whatever simplifies the process if perfect, really. About a year ago, I

I am playing with the idea to throw away *EVERYTHING* what has
accumulated in the tpm2*.cfg and src file and start afresh ...
just to make a clean start. Maybe most of the things are not
really necessary. And if we can easily make a new upstream release
based on a new tlnet snapshot it might be easier to fix it upstream
and then package it here.

Only problem, I guess I have to implement it ...

`The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin,
`and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The
third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went
into a bit of a decline.'
                 --- Marvin reflecting back on his 576,000,003,579 year
                 --- career as Milliways' car park attendent.