Is Defoma dead?

Hi all, I am wondering about the state of fonts in Debian, esp. with regards to TeX.

And specifically I am wondering if any of you can tell me whether or not Defoma is dead. I just found out now that it was orphaned a few years ago. Did fontconfig replace it? Is it okay to delete it?

I am a heavy TeX user (texlive) and having just upgraded from Lenny to Squeeze I'm having all kinds of crazy font problems. For one thing, the great fonts in the TeX "context" package are unavailable to X. I used to rely on them for Emacs and all kinds of other apps, and I'm trying to figure out if this is an upgrade change in Defoma or Fontconfig, Tex Live or what.

So basically, anyone know if it's okay to remove Defoma? Is it a goner? And if the fonts in /usr/share/texmf/fonts and /usr/share/texmf-texlive/fonts aren't showing up in X anymore (not visible in fontmatrix, xlsfonts, etc, not useable by other apps), what can I do?

Thanks so much for your help!