Re: NMU for http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=610714? (auctex)

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011, Hilmar Preuße wrote:

On 23.01.11 Faheem Mitha (faheem@email.unc.edu) wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to get a fix uploaded for #610714 for auctex in squeeze.
This should be straightforward. The fix breaks preview with the
version of ghostscript in squeeze (8.71~dfsg2-6.1), and was patched
in upstream CVS in October 2010 (the patch is only to preview.el).

I was a little confused by your phrasing. Above you say that the fix
breaks something, i.e. would have side effects. After reading through
the bug report I understood that this is not correct.

Sorry for my lack of clarity. It breaks preview. Preview-latex is now part of auctex. It used to be a separate package. See http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/preview-latex.html

In my opinion, preview is a significant part of auctex, and the package is much less useful to me without it. And possibly to other people. Though I'm still a little puzzled that nobody noticed this before.

According to #debian-release on OFTC, the first thing is to get a fix into sid. Patching 11.86 in sid is easy, easier than patching 11.85.

I'm not sure if fixes for non-RC bugs are accepted right now. Even bringing 11.86 to testing *now* might not be possible. Rather leave the fix to squeeze+1 and put the fixed file into /usr/local/share/emacs/

I think that getting the fix into a point release ie. 6.1 as a backport to 11.85 would be reasonable. And surely an upload of 11.86 with the fix would be accepted in unstable? From what the release people said, the unstable upload would need to be done first.

CCing debian-release in case they want to comment.
                                                           Regards, Faheem