Re: Building tex packages

Hi Luke,

On Do, 29 Apr 2010, Luke-Jennings wrote:
> few things. How ever not all our users are using lucid, therefore I have
> been asked to put it all in a ppa. I have spent a few days trying to

Whatever a ppa might be.

> package texlive with not much luck. The readme is very extensive but
> appears to talk about a file that doesn't exists.

Which one?

> make all

Don't run blindly make, I actually *never* use make nowadays.

> perl tpm2deb-source.pl make-deb-source
> --oldsource=/media/Back-Up/tmp/texlive2009/trunk/src
> --master=/media/Back-Up/tmp/texlive-2009.0/Master texlive-base
> texlive-doc texlive-lang texlive-extra \
> 		2>&1 | tee texlive.sourcebuild.log
> Cannot find texworks.i386-linux!
> Cannot find xecyr.i386-linux!
> Please create a .orig.tar.gz first!

Read what is written there ... it tells you what you should do!!!
You need to create an .orig.tar.gz first.

BTW, why don't you start from the packages that there are in Debian
already of TL2009?

You have to first get the .orig.tar.gz files, either from the Debian
repository, or you build it yourself, but if you keep the same
upstream version then it would be good from all sides if you use the
same upstream sources, otherwise the Ubuntu equivalent of dak will
cry out.

I have the feeling that your experience with building any kind of
packages is quite limited. Please try NOT to start with TeX (Live)
as the building of it is quite complicated.

The readme you mentioned actually explains how to create a .orig
file, under point 2, although referring to 2007, which should be fixed.
But in reality it works if you use the 2009 part.

Well, not completely, since telxive-bin is now a completely separate
package.

> Is there an irc channel that the team uses?

There is #debian-tex on irc.debian.org but hardly anyone is there, only
now and then me, since most of the work is done by me.

JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force
BONKLE
Of plumbing in old hotels, to make loud and unexplained noises in the
night, particularly at about five o'clock in the morning.