Re: Takeover of ptex

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 03:48:15 +0100, Norbert Preining wrote:

> That are good news. In fact, it would be nice to do something
> with ptex in general: Is there still develpoment going on
> upstream? If no, we should collect the special properties of
> ptex and propose them to luatex for inclusion.

Well, in a sense of the original upstream, ASCII co.,
developement is almost stopped recently.

But in a user community of pTeX, there is still development
going on, mainly to support unicode.
I don't know documents written in English but there are
few documents partly written in English.
One is ptexlive
http://tutimura.ath.cx/ptexlive/?ptexenc%2FDetails
and the other is upTeX
http://homepage3.nifty.com/ttk/comp/tex/uptex_en.html

I'm not familiar with luatex yet so I can't say anything
on inclusion of pTeX feature in luatex at present.
But I'm familiar with XeTeX to some extent.

> I don't see why there should be the need for a special Japanese
> TeX engine, it should be supported in all details by the default
> (furture default) one.

Well, one reason is historical, there are many tex files
written for pTeX.
Another one is quality, I'm not completely satified with
XeTeX treatment of japanese.  For example its vertical
typesetting is not good enough compared with pTeX.

In short, for a normal user of pTeX, it will be difficult
to migrate in luatex/XeTeX, at least, at present.

If there were no pTeX, then XeTeX would be splended but
there is pTeX already for quite long time...

Regards,	    	       2010-1-14(Thu)

--
 Debian Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda AT debian.org>