Re: The horrible infinite-loop detected bug

On 18.12.09 Norbert Preining (preining@logic.at) wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Norbert Preining wrote:

Hi,

> > Yes. I agree. We should also check that the following lines actually
> > define the two formats as taken over from the old file. What a pain.
>
> What about the following: We check exactely for the 4 lines in that
> have been transfered, nothing more and nothing less and remove
> only those and add the comment:

If anybody has modified the file and it contains more than these four
lines (or they look at little bit different): will the hack fail
then?

> What do you think?

I have to say I didn't read through all these bugs yet and didn't
analyse any log file. I just believe: if these four offending lines
are in the fmtutil.cnf when fmtutil-sys is called (and
texlive-base-bin has been removed) the update-fmtutil did not
work/was not executed. I think we should find out why update-fmtutil
did not update fmtutil.cnf correctly instead of trying to built work
arounds as they just hide bugs.

Just my 2 cents.

Hilmar
--
People who fight fire with fire usually end up with ashes.
		-- Abigail Van Buren