Re: package debian lenny dependancy problem with texinfo and texi2html

On 22.11.09 Michel Villeneuve (michel.villeneuve@gmail.com) wrote:

Hi,

> I'm writing to you because i'd like to compile lilypond
> (lilypond.org) documentation.
>
> In order to do that I have to install texi2html as required on this page :
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/topdocs/INSTALL#Requirements
>
> " ... Running requirements    ...Texi2HTML 1.82 or newer"
>
> I'm using debian lenny (arch : intel 32bits).
>
> The problem is : when I want to install the texi2html package
> (forcing 1.82 version, because 1.78 is proposed by default) my
> packet manager (synaptic) force me to uninstall texinfo : it
> doesn't allow me to install both texi2html and texinfo

I guess synaptic is a little bit careful here: you're taking the
version texi2html form unstable/testing(?) and try to install it on a
stable system. Meanwhile this is not always a good idea, I don't see
a problem here.
You just have to fulfil all depends of that package an can install
it: dpkg (>= 1.15.4) | install-info. No, I wouldn't replace dpkg, so
download install-info and texi2html from the web and download it
using dpkg.

As said, putting testing packahes on a stable system is not always
recommended, bug in this case it should not hurt.

HTH,
  H.
--
Air is water with holes in it.