Re: circular dependency tl-base and tl-binaries (was: TL2009 build strangeties)

Hi Frank!

On Do, 15 Okt 2009, Frank Küster wrote:
> just to remind us of the reason why we are discussing this:  Norbert
> found that I introduced a circular dependency, tl-base and tl-binaries
> depend on each other. This is bad.

AH that was the topic, didn't realize that.

> Below there's a log attached, just for completeness.

That is really suprising. Looking at the postinst of texlive-base
I see that it should run fmtutil-sys.... ahhh probably becasue
the ini files are not there, or some other reason.

But it is definitely only becasue fmtutil ignored these format lines.

> At the moment this is not necessary, so we could just as well just drop
> texlive-binaries' dependency on texlive-base (it works; tested with
> --force-depends).

Yup, that would be good!

> However, I suspect that we have a bug.  Here's the relevant part from
> texlive-binaries' postinst:

Yes you are right.

In fact there should be something like
	if kp_configure
		fmtutil-sys --refresh
	fi

> Note that formats are not built at all.  Is that correct?  In the old

No it is not.

> days, it was generally necessary to rebuilt the formats when the
> binaries had changed.  Is that only becaus of pool files which are gone?

No that doesn't not make a difference.

Yes, we have to change the postinstall pf texlive-binaries.

But checking the actualy texlive-binaries package we do NOT do anything
tex related, no mktexlsr etc.

So, drop dependency on tex-common, drop call to dh_installtex, and we
are gone.

Add specialized postinstall calling fmtutil-sys --refresh if that is available.

That should be enough, no?

It would parallel what I have done with luatex just today.

Dr. Norbert Preining                                        Associate Professor
JAIST Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology   preining@jaist.ac.jp
Vienna University of Technology                               preining@logic.at
Debian Developer (Debian TeX Task Force)                    preining@debian.org
COTTERSTOCK (n.)
A piece of wood used to stir paint and thereafter stored uselessly in
a shed in perpetuity.