Re: About TexLive 2008

Ciao Luca,

benvenuto nel Club di TeXies.

On Mo, 13 Apr 2009, Luca Niccoli wrote:
> I'm a debian user who's getting involved with the debian develpement;
> since I'm becoming more and more addicted to TeX, I would like to know
> if and how I could help with the packaging of TeXLive 2008: maybe

Wellll, there are tons of things to do. We have packages but they are
far from being even experimental. If you are *really* *really* serious
about it, and have good knowledge of Perl, then I can explain you some
details, and you could dive into the various scripts.

If not, please don't ask, it is too much a work. There is a svn
repository of our group at svn.debian.org, debian-tex, and you can look
up documentation, perl scripts there.

> testing, debugging or proof checking some license information.

Due to hardware error, other (tex-common trigger support) things that
keep my attention, there hasn't been much progress on the TL front for
Debian for some time.

To be honest, I am not sure if we will package 2008 at all, and not
switch over to TL2009 immediately, since the release of that will be
around summer, and there will be a vastly improved build system which
will help us, and many things made cleaner. Well, just thinking loudly.
As long as nobody really steps up and helps me by actually building
packges, debugging the build process, testing etc, it will be a long way
to go for packages uploaded to unstable.

> Besides, I would like to know how debian is going to deal with tlmgr:

It will not be present.

All the functionality of tlmgr is in apt:
- package installation/removal/update: apt-get ...
- search: apt-cache search
- configuration is done anyway differently

AFAIS there is no place in tlmgr in normal Debian.

> since I use latex also on my netbook, where disk space is quite
> limited, I sometimes find it problematic to have to install tens of
> megabytes of packages just to have a font or so. To be clear, I think

That will not change. You can de-select the -doc packages in tight
disk-space circumstances, that will save you loads, but other than that
we will not support single TeX package installations.

> An other nice feature to have in debian would be to have a tlmgr-like
> program, that just installs the proper debian package instead of
> downloading the tex one; now AFAIK one has to search through the
> package long descriptions, which isn't the neatest thing (not a big
> deal of course...)

I do not understand what you propose, can you be more specific?

Ciao, e spero che non sia stato colpito dal terremoto, come qualche
amico mio.

YEPPOON (n.)
One of the hat-hanging corks which Australians wear for making Qantas
commercials.