Re: Problem with *not* embedding fonts with latest texlive from sid

Hi, Ralf.

On Mar 30 2009, Ralf Stubner wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:00 -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > dvipsDownloadBase35 false
> > pdftexDownloadBase14 false
> > dvipdfmDownloadBase14 false
>
> For dvips this is still the default setting.

Yes. I just wanted to document things and leave my settings there just
in case that the default becomes different with newer versions of texlive.

> For pdftex I would use
>     \pdfmapfile{pdftex_dl14.map}
> (untested) either in the document or on the commandline. That way one
> is more flexible from my point of view.

Right, I used that in the command line. Just as a small correction, it
should be the _ndl14.map file. But other than that, it works
wonderfully.

> > I don't know why CMR10 is being embedded, as my tiny tex document listed
> > above doesn't use any of the Computer Modern family. Also, I saw that
> > the contents of "times.ps" *does* indeed contain the part respective to
> > CMR10.
>
> I would guess that the page number on the bottom of the page uses
> CMR10.

You hit the nail in the head here! Congrats. After using an empty
footline, it worked as expected.

> Do you actually want to use palin TeX, or was this just for
> experiment?

No, this was just for experiment purposes. I almost always using latex,
as I don't know anything of plain tex (just the bare minimum, but not
enough to typeset my modest documents).

In fact, I was playing with fonts yesterday, since I have some good
documents that were produced with bitmapped fonts and pkfix isn't able
to substitute the fonts and, then, I started using the pkfix-helper
script, which helps a lot, but isn't perfect.

Well, anyway, thank you very much for the \pdfmapfile hint and for
pointing out that the page number was pulling in the CMR10 font.

Thank you very much for the very informative e-mail.

Thanks again,