Re: trigger question for texinfo/install-info

On Sa, 14 Mär 2009, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Perhaps we are having some kind of desperate misunderstanding here.
> I was going to ask whether you were actually a package maintainer but
> I see from Maintainers that you are.

Yes I am, I am the one packaging texlive, probably currently the only
one here fully active. And the one packaging texinfo, and several other
packages.

> I hadn't previously looked at this manpage.  I had assumed that it was
> just a copy of triggers.txt.gz with extra formatting.  However I see
> that it's not.

Right. It is a bit useless.

> I think that deb-triggers(5) in its current form is not useful.
> Worse, it is a blind alley because it will appear in search results
> but not even contain a reference to the full specification.  I have
> filed a bug asking for it to be removed.

100% agreed, thanks for filing a bug.

> > - trigger files can be made package specific (like all others) using
> >   debhelper and package.triggers
> > - that dh_installdeb is the responsible dh call
>
> This kind of thing is something that a package maintainer should
> either know or be able to find out easily.  If you were aware of

I found it out, but if the man-pages of the relevant packages document
something strange/out-of-date it is a bit misguiding.

> triggers.txt.gz then didn't that answer your question ?

No, triggers.txt.gz does not mention package.triggers. That is the
reason I asked you. I did read the stuff.

ADLESTROP (n.)
That part of a suitcase which is designed to get snarled up on
conveyor belts at airports. Some of the more modern adlestrop designs
have a special 'quick release' feature which enables the case to flip
open at this point and fling your underclothes into the conveyor
belt's gearing mechanism.