Re: tex-common with triggers support

On Mi, 11 Mär 2009, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > the Debian TeX Team has uploaded tex-common 1.15 to unstable which
> > brings triggers support for font maps (calls to updmap-sys) and
> > hyphenation patterns (calls to fmtutil-sys --byfmt).
>
> Great. \o/

Lenny is out, time for doing new things.

> > Those packages shipping fonts, ie those package calling dh_installtex
> > AND having some map files are advised to rebuild with tex-common 1.15
> > so that updmap-sys is not called two times (once from the postinst, once
> > from the trigger).
>
> Shouldn’t the progress on this be tracked somehow? I’m not sure what
> would be best. There could be a mass bug filing using some usertag, but
> that may get out of sync if people make an upload without noticing the
> bug should be closed with it.

There aren't that many packages shipping updmap.d file:
tex/cm-super
tex/cm-super-minimal
	our Team, already uploaded

tex/ko.tex-base
tex/ko.tex-extra

tex/latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-bkai00mp
tex/latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-bsmi00lp
tex/latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-gbsn00lp
tex/latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-gkai00mp
tex/latex-cjk-japanese-wadalab
tex/latex-cjk-thai

tex/latex-sanskrit

tex/littex

tex/lmodern
	our team, already prepared

tex/musixtex

tex/scalable-cyrfonts-tex

tex/texlive-base
tex/texlive-fonts-extra
tex/texlive-fonts-recommended
tex/texlive-games
tex/texlive-lang-african
tex/texlive-lang-arab
tex/texlive-lang-cyrillic
tex/texlive-lang-czechslovak
tex/texlive-lang-french
tex/texlive-lang-greek
tex/texlive-lang-hebrew
tex/texlive-lang-indic
tex/texlive-lang-mongolian
tex/texlive-lang-polish
tex/texlive-lang-vietnamese
tex/texlive-latex-base
tex/texlive-latex-extra
tex/texlive-math-extra
tex/texlive-omega
tex/texlive-pictures
	our team

tex/thailatex

tex/tipa

text/itrans

x11/gregoriotex

So that is not soo bad. And with hyphenation patterns it is even
simpler, besides texlive-* we have only littex and latex-cjk-chinese.

So I see no need here.

> Another option would be a lintian test that warns if the postinst calls
> updmap-sys but the package depends on text-common (>= 1.15). This would

I consider it not to problematic. And, there is a way that people
actually WANT to have that updmap-sys is called already very soon, if
the fonts are used in the postinstall itself (no idea if that ever will
actually occur). dh_installtex can be called with some option to disable
the trigger behaviour and make it behave as before.

So I don't see much hurry here, we are trying to update texlive packages
at some point, and the others hopefully will follow.

LUFFENHAM (n.)
Feeling you get when the pubs aren't going to be open for another
fortyfive minutes and the luffness is beginning to wear a bit thin.