Re: Packaging TeXLive 2008: Source packages

Marc J. Driftmeyer
(509)435-5212

On Feb 21, 2009, at 6:20 AM, Norbert Preining wrote:

On Sa, 21 Feb 2009, Marc J. Driftmeyer wrote:
Is there a reason we don't package the non-free TeXLive packages under
non-free to guarantee we cover the TeXLive 2008 distribution without any
loose ends?

Besides the GFDL docs there are *no* non-free TeX Live packages, and if
some are found then they will be removed.

TeX Live follows DFSG with the exception of GFDL and some other things
(like commercial fonts included, but source available).

I install the entire TeXLive Debian offers and to get the entire 2008
with the final individual decision, under my control, I'd install it
immediately.

PARSE_ERROR ... I don't grab the meaning of that sentence.

The work of packaging is a large effort that you've managed for several
years now and turned it into something I can guarantee my writings work
in Debian and OS X. However, it would be nice to have some of the less
well-known, but interesting packages that violate the Debian Policy for
me to cleanly install.

TeX Live itself will not ship them.

There is still an option, but that needs someone else then us (us on the
TL side or Debian side):
- install normal upstream TeX Live
- create a TL repository for non-free stuff (there is a doc about how
  to do that, and some people already did it for other packages)
- make that repository available

But on the Debian side I will not package stuff that is not even in TeX
Live into some non-free section.

TeX Live and Debian-TeX Live should be the same, and the changes in the
last year cleaned many many left overs from upstream, so with 2008 in
Debian we will be practically equal.

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>        Vienna University of Technology
Debian Developer <preining@debian.org>                         Debian TeX Group
gpg DSA: 0x09C5B094      fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76  A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094
`Er, hey Earthman...'
`Arthur,' said Arthur.
`Yeah, could you just sort of keep this robot with you and
guard this end of the passageway. OK?'
What from? You just said there's no
one here.'
`Yeah, well, just for safety, OK?' said Zaphod.
`Whose? Yours or mine?'
                 --- Arthur drawing the short straw on Magrathea.

I believe this is where I've misconstrued TeXLive's intention with that of CTAN:

(Note: this is not true of all the software in the CTAN snapshot or in proTeXt, which are distributed alongside TeX Live in the TeX Collection.)

In short, CTAN snapshots always being more recent than TeXLive have to eventually sanitized for TeXLive future distributions?

Sincerely,

Marc