Packaging TeXLive 2008: Source packages

> On Di, 20 Jan 2009, Frank Küster wrote:
>> find texlive-2008.0/ -name latexmk
>
> latexmk was probably added later:
>
> r10937 | karl | 2008-10-12 19:18:38 +0200 (Sun, 12 Oct 2008) | 1 line
>
> latexmk 4.01 (29sep08)
>
>> (that's the checked out tag from upstream SVN) and it didn't result in
>> anything. Moreover
>
> Check out the current svn, that is much better anyway since all the
> nosell/nocommercial/nonfree stuff is actually removed .... so working
> with the tag .0 is not a good idea.

Hm, the licensing stuff is definitely a valid reason. But that will mean
that we will package a non-released version. Something not comparable to
what anyone else packages.

Are there any changes yet to the infrastructure which might affect us?

When are they planned?

Frank Küster
Debian Developer (TeXLive)
VCD Aschaffenburg-Miltenberg, ADFC Miltenberg
B90/Grüne KV Miltenber
Norbert,

Is there a reason we don't package the non-free TeXLive packages under non-free to guarantee we cover the TeXLive 2008 distribution without any loose ends?

I install the entire TeXLive Debian offers and to get the entire 2008 with the final individual decision, under my control, I'd install it immediately.

It's bad enough battling with LyX and other editor maintainers who hedge on issues of should we or should we not recommend, require, optional this or that package, but to cut the cord to eliminate the option of installing the entire distribution when we can maintain the Debian Policy and Non-Free option seems odd.

The work of packaging is a large effort that you've managed for several years now and turned it into something I can guarantee my writings work in Debian and OS X. However, it would be nice to have some of the less well-known, but interesting packages that violate the Debian Policy for me to cleanly install.

I can always manually build under /usr/local/share/texmf and build that way, but what's the point of package management if you can't cleanly purge TeXLive 2008 in it's optional entirety?

Thank you once again for your efforts. Since embracing TeX/LaTeX 4 years ago I haven't touch a word processor for more than a memo.

- Marc

--
Marc J. Driftmeyer
Email :: mjd@reanimality.com <mailto:mjd@reanimality.com>
Web :: http://www.reanimality.com
Cell :: (509) 435-5212
begin:vcard
fn:Marc J. Driftmeyer
n:Driftmeyer;Marc
org:ReAnimality Inc.;Consulting Executive
adr:;;2651 E. 38th Ave;Spokane;WA;99223;USA
email;internet:mjd@reanimality.com
title:CEO
tel;work:(509)435-5212
tel;cell:(509)435-5212