Re: Future of xmltex?

On 09.01.09 Norbert Preining (preining@logic.at) wrote:
> On Mi, 07 Jan 2009, Hilmar Preusse wrote:

Hi *,

> Well, age is not a criterium in the TeX world.

;-)

> > Question: do we really still need xmltex or is it obsolete? The
> > only package depending on it is docbookwiki.
>
> ???
> $ apt-cache rdepends xmltex

hille@kloetzer:~ $ apt-rdepends --reverse xmltex
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
xmltex
  Reverse Depends: docbookwiki (0.9.1cvs-9)
docbookwiki

I guess your tool simply lists Recommends and Suggests too.

> xmltex
> Reverse Depends:
>   docbookwiki
>   xmlto

xmlto is only suggested by kernel-package and suggest
fop|passivetex|xmltex.

> No, we cannot easily remove it for now...

Think about it.

> Does anyone have a RedHat installed? Can we get the intermediate
> files as produced by redhat and check for diffs? And the
> distributed files?

My employer recently bought RH 5.2 for other purposes:

[spectrum@redhat52 ~]$ wget http://www.tldp.org/authors/template/Sample-HOWTO.xml

[spectrum@redhat52 ~]$ xmlto ps Sample-HOWTO.xml
<snip>
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/wasysym/uwasy.fd)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/stmaryrd/ustmry.fd) [1]
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/ts1ptm.fd)

! LaTeX Error: Something's wrong--perhaps a missing \item.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.264 ...block></fo:block></fo:list-item-label>
                                                  <fo:list-item-body
start-i...

?
! Emergency stop.

l.264 ...block></fo:block></fo:list-item-label>
                                                  <fo:list-item-body
start-i...

Output written on tmp.dvi (1 page, 19304 bytes).
Transcript written on tmp.log.
[spectrum@redhat52 ~]$

H.
--