Questions about MiKTeX package manager for Debian

Hello,

I am currently working on packaging the MiKTeX-tools for Debian, which consists mainly of a LaTeX package manager. (I hope you know the tools.) Because MiKTeX pulls the packages from CTAN I was wondering if you can tell me how TeXlive (which if I am correct also works from the CTAN), works with licensing/copyrights, because this is a large issue with Debian. Someone [1] suggested to ask here.

By the way, how do you feel about such a LaTeX package manager for Debian? Do you think it might be useful? Or does TeXlive include a manager which does the same thing? I read somewhere that TeXlive is also (partly) based on MiKTeX.

With kind regards,
Paul Gevers

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=481606#10