FTBFS because building fonts fails

Dear TeX maintainers,

I'm sort of puzzled by an FTFS I'm seeing in my package ppl that just got
accepted into the archive. Please see [1] for the complete log, but in essence
the following fails:

======================

Running mktextfm ptmr8t
mkdir: cannot create directory `././home/buildd/.texmf-var': Permission denied
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ptmr8t
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)
kpathsea: Running mktexmf ptmr8t

! I can't find file `ptmr8t'.
<*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ptmr8t

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ptmr8t

Transcript written on mfput.log.
grep: ptmr8t.log: No such file or directory
mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ptmr8t' failed to make ptmr8t.tfm.

As a TeX user I'm quite used to the fact that font metrics get built on demand,
but apparently this is impossible in a buildd run!? Am I missing any dependency?
BTW: LaTeX is called by doxygen, so it's just about building the documentation,
but anyway, this must work...

Could you give me any hints?

Thanks a lot,
Michael

PS.: Please CC me on replies, I'm not subscribed...

[1] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=ppl&ver=0.9-3&arch=amd64&stamp=1215135571&file=log