Re: doc-base section for TeX packages

Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> wrote:

> On 13.06.08 Theppitak Karoonboonyanan (thep@linux.thai.net) wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Trying to fix doc-base-unknown-section lintian warning in thailatex
>> package, I wonder what appropriate doc-base section to use for TeX
>> packages, as 'Apps/TeX' is now obsolete, nor is 'TeX' acceptable
>> [1].
>>
>>   [1] file:///usr/share/doc/doc-base/doc-base.html/ch-interface.html#s-section_field
>>
>> Should it be 'Text' or 'Office'?
>>
> Well, I'm not sure if is necessary at all to register the docs in the
> Debian menu. I rather suggest to register them to texdoc so an
> ordinary "texdoc -l thai" should list them.

(which means nothing than installing them in the proper place in a TEXMF
tree, see
file:///usr/share/doc/tex-common/Debian-TeX-Policy.html/ch5.html#s-sec-documentation).

I suggest to use "TeX", and ignore the doc-base policy. I haven't
followed the doc-base development lately, and I'm surprised that bugs
like #109431 are archived (and will try to look at that). But it seems
quite uncontroversial that the menu sections don't generally fit
documentation, at least not all types.

Frank Küster