Re: another thing concerning urgencies

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 08:05:13AM +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:
> one more thing: AFAIR (but I might be wrong) the urgency is NOT to speed
> up the transition to testing due to serious bugs, but to ensure that a
> buggy package in unstable does not enter testing before a new fixed one.

Wrong; that is the only practical effect that the urgency has these
days.

> Assume that package
> 	....-3
> was uploaded with a serious bug to unstable with normal urgency. After
> two days this bug is found, the package would go into testing in 8 days.
> One can upload a package
> 	....-4
> with urgency medium which will go into unstable in 6 days and thus
> overtaking the buggy -3 version.

One can upload ...-3 with medium urgency, then after two days upload
...-4 with normal urgency, and the ...-4 will still overtake the ...-3
(although it will now take at least 10 days to migrate): only the most
recent version of a package is kept in unstable, and that is the only
version which can ever be promoted to testing.

   Julian