Re: XeLaTeX does not display PDF v1.4 graphics

Ralf Stubner wrote:

How does the output look like on your machine?

xelatex --output-driver="xdvipdfmx -v" GraphicsTest.tex
This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode
(./GraphicsTest.tex
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax, dumylang, noh
yphenation, croatian, bulgarian, russian, ukrainian, czech, slovak, danish, dut
ch, finnish, finnish, french, basque, french, german, ngerman, german, ngerman,
 greek, monogreek, ancientgreek, ibycus, hungarian, hungarian, italian, italian
, latin, latin, mongolian, mongolian, norsk, norsk, coptic, esperanto, estonian
, icelandic, indonesian, interlingua, romanian, serbian, slovenian, turkish, up
persorbian, welsh, polish, polish, portuguese, portuguese, spanish, catalan, ga
lician, spanish, catalan, galician, swedish, swedish, ukenglish, ukenglish, loa
ded.
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/geometry/geometry.sty
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/graphics/keyval.sty)
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/xelatex/xetexconfig/geometry.cfg))
(/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/xcolor/xcolor.sty
(/etc/texmf/tex/latex/config/color.cfg)
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/xelatex/graphics/xetex.def))
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/graphics/graphics.sty
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/graphics/trig.sty)
(/etc/texmf/tex/latex/config/graphics.cfg)) (./GraphicsTest.aux)
<use  "W13.pdf" > <use  "W14.pdf" > [1] (./GraphicsTest.aux) )
No dvi filename specified, reading standard input.DVI Comment: XeTeX output 2007.11.04:0839
stdin -> GraphicsTest.pdf
[1(Image:./W13.pdf[PDF])<cmr10@9.96pt(TFM:cmr10)
pdf_font>> Simple font "cmr10" enc_id=<builtin,-1> opened at font_id=<cmr10,0>.
>(Image:./W14.pdf
** WARNING ** Version of PDF file (1.4) is newer than version limit specification.
[UNKNOWN]
** WARNING ** No image converter available for converting file "./W14.pdf" to PDF format.
** WARNING ** >> Please check if you have 'D' option in config file.
)
** WARNING ** pdf: image inclusion failed for "./W14.pdf".
](cmr10[Type1])
Compression eliminated approximately 690 bytes
4274 bytes written
Output written on GraphicsTest.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on GraphicsTest.log.

It appears that there is a bug in some config file. By the way, I am using the standard Gutsy texlive-full packages.

I have now downloaded the new sources from Hardy and recompiled them with a patched prevu and a patched pbuilder (they were both buggy) but have not installed them yet. I would like to track this problem to its source so that I can report it on launchpad, before I install the new packages.

BTW, ps2pdf is not a good tool for cenverting eps images to pdf, since
it does not honour the bounding box. a2ping and epstopdf are better in
this respect.

I first encountered this problem with a PDF output by Inkscape, which was missing from the output of xelatex. I used ps2pdf13 and ps2pdf14 merely as easy ways to convert a ps/eps to different versions of PDF to confirm version number as the source of the problem. I usually use epstopdf. Thanks for telling me about a2ping; it looks like a very good tool.

Chandra
04 Nov 07