Re: More fine-grained control in texlive?

On Jun 28 2007, Rogério Brito wrote:

> Dear Norbert, Frank, Florent and other maintainers,

Dear texlive manteiners and Rogério Brito,

> Could we have a little bit more fine-grained control in the texlive
> packages?
>
> I'm trying to upgrade my tetex distribution to a texlive one (and my
> intent is to produce a live CD for mathematicians), but some of the new
> packages are quite big (one of them is 120+MB installed!).

Recently I've upgraded my TeX distribution to TeXLive and I would like
to suggest, as Rogério did, to have the packages subdivided to allow
users to choose, as precisely as one can get, only the needed
packages. I was shocked when I saw a package with 120MB, and there is
another one even bigger than that?

Could these packages be broken in smaller pieces? I think that many
users would love to have smaller TeX distributions fitting their
needs.

I would like to suggest, for example, that documentation should be kept
apart from the packages itself and create more -extra and -recommend
subdivisions.

Is this reasonable?

Thanks in advance, Alexandre
Alexandre Lymberopoulos - lymber@ime.usp.br - http://www.ime.usp.br/~lymber
Graduate Student of Mathematics - Instituto de Matemática e Estatística
                        Universidade de São Paulo