Re: Texinfo vs. Debian install-info, new upstream texinfo

On 7/4/07, Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:
Hi,

karl@freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

> Thanks for writing, Norbert.  I was just about to do the same.
>
>     - Concerning the update-info-dir script I am a but lost, do we have
>       a script for this already?
>
> There are two different scripts in the Texinfo distribution to do this
> job: gen-dir-node and fix-info-dir (in the util subdirectory).  I don't
> know which is better or what the differences are.

And there is also a 'generate-info-dir' Python script by Ian
Zimmerman...

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2007/05/msg00040.html

> It seems desirable to me to have the logic for rebuilding the dir file
> be in a separate script, not embedded in install-info.  Not something to
> program in C, seems to me.

Well, seems to be the case for the above script...

I have both a C version (in the from of a patch to the existing
install-info code),
and perl and python standalone scripts.

I fully agree with Karl that the standalone scripts are preferable.
Unfortunately,
that conflicts with the original motivation, which was to fix Debian
post-install script breakage.  I wish they could simply drop the
install-info in this context and started using my Perl or Python
scripts , but I guess compatibility considerations won't allow that.

Note my present address, in the Cc.