Re: Release Goal Proposal: texlive-transition

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

>> - tetex-bin and tetex-extra do still exist, as metapackages, and we
>>   would like to have the freedom to change their dependencies as we
>>   learn about users' needs, without bothering whether some package is
>>   broken by this.
>
> Which precisely implies that the functionality provided by
> tetex-bin/tetex-extra from one release to the next is not reliable;

Exactly, but that problem exists, anyway.  The organisation of TeX Live
(upstream) is different to our old teTeX splitting, and it would be
hardly possible to create a package with exactly tetex-extra's, or even
-bin's functionality.  Moreover, the splitting of tetex is quite buggy,
anyway.  Even when we had not switched to texlive, we would have tried
to make this better and thus would have changed the functionality
provided by tetex-bin.

> that
> sounds like a net decrease in quality to me...

The change is not avoidable.  I think it's better to make it clear
*now*.

Frank Küster