Re: More fine-grained control in texlive?

>> Perhaps we could split the documentation on texlive-latex-extra-doc (and
>
> For the doc stuff: No, we will NOT split the documentation from the
> actual files. This was done in tetex, but it is bad, because there are
> too many packages which require us to ship them TOGETHER with their
> documentation. And no, none of us has the time and will to go through
> all packages and check whether we can ship the docs separately or not.

To me, it's not only a license question.  I don't know whether it's a
good idea to require docs and input files to be distributed together,
but I think it *is* a bad idea to not distribute them together.  Instead
of installing the doc package, people start googling around and using
bad advice or outdated (or too new) documentation.

Frank Küster