Re: Accessing mathmatics symbols within XeTeX

"R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar" <chandra@ee.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> (2) Some of the font support files seem to be installed under texmf/
> tex/latex rather than texmf-texlive/tex/latex on your system, where
> I'm assuming the latter corresponds to TeX Live's texmf-dist. Does
> that mean they have been deliberately installed in a different
> location from TeX Live, or does it mean that there are duplicate
> copies that may be masking the original files? (The version numbers
> seem to match, so there may not be any real differences, but it led
> me to wonder.)

Packages that are packaged separately from TeX Live in Debian put their
files in /usr/share/texmf, whereas packages that are created from TeX
Live put them in /usr/share/texmf-texlive, so this is expected (well,
depending on the package).

> Following up on this, I note that the lmodern package puts its font information at:
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/lm/
> and at:
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/enc/dvips/lm

lmodern is packaged separately from TL, so this is normal.

> Also, could the repetition of the hyphen files be caused by installation of
> some package once from texlive-full and another time from a separate package
> alone? I think, however, that Debian package management should take care and
> make such actions idempotent.

texlive-full is a meta-package, so it surely cannot install files that
are also installed by the packages it depends on.

> If anyone knows what the KDE Font Manager does behind the scenes (file
> locations etc.) I will appreciate knowing this to see if anything was broken
> at that end.

No idea, but if you didn't use the KDE Font Manager as root, you can
always create a new account to eliminate any customization made by the
KDE Font Manager for your tests.

--
Florent