Problem compiling texlive 2007 packages from source on Kubuntu Feisty

Norbert Preining wrote:
On Sam, 19 Mai 2007, R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:

P.S. I am using XeTeX for other work and am looking forward to the texlive-2007 packages becoming stable so that I can install it.

On Ubuntu or Debian?

Bye

Norbert

I am running Kubuntu Feisty on a PC.

I have downloaded both the Debian and the Gutsy sources for TeXLive 2007 from the repositories and tried to make a Feisty package out of them.

I have used prevu to generate tex-common_1.7~7.04prevu1_all.deb and have installed it successfully.

dpkg -l tex-common
gives
ii  tex-common     1.7~7.04prevu1 Common infrastructure for using and building

However, when I try to build the deb for texlive-base or texlive base from source using prevu, I get the error:

-> Considering build-dep tex-common (>= 1.7)
      Tried versions: 1.7~7.04prevu1 0.42
   -> Does not satisfy version, not trying
E: Could not satisfy build-dependency.

I have posted to the Ubuntu-Backports web site at:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=268687&page=18
but not got an  answer yet.

A similar problem is noted at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-backports/2007-May/004587.html

I also tried

sudo apt-get build-dep texlive-base
and got
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Build-Depends-Indep dependency for texlive-base cannot be satisfied because no available versions of package tex-common can satisfy version requirements

As stated above, I already have tex-common_1.7~7.04prevu1 installed. So this diagnostic is perplexing.

I do not know how to get the 2007 versions of texlive-base and texlive-bin compiled from source on Feisty, and hope you can suggest something.

Many thanks.

--Chandra
  13 Jun 07