Re: Backport to etch

> Hi Florent, our Grand Master of the 42. order ;-)

Ewww, that must be something quite evil... ;-)

>> For my personal backports, I use something like 2007~etch.frougon.0 so
>> that I can easily spot:

[...]

> But this doesn't help with the dependency problem as you know.

Yup.

>> Unfortunalely, yes. One way around that would be to use versioned
>> depends such as (>= 1.7~bpo) instead of (>= 1.7) in unstable, even if
>
> Baehhhhh, no.
>
>> you don't have backported the package yet. This works fine since
>> 1.7 >= 1.7~bpo, but I admit it is slightly ugly.
>
> Only "slightly"?

Call it an euphemism. But I'm sure you'd get used to it with some
practice. ;-)

More seriouly, if you adopt a mechanism like

Depends: epiphany-browser (>= ${gnome:Version}), epiphany-browser (<< ${gnome:NextVersion})

as reported by Josselin Mouette concerning the GNOME packages, you can
probably leverage it to automate setting the right dependencies for
backports. I think this is worth considering.

--
Florent