Re: texlive

Hi all!

I also want to contribute a few comments:

On Fre, 20 Apr 2007, Jordan Mantha wrote:
> Interesting you asked, I've been thinking we need a TeX team in Ubuntu. So

Good idea, note that there is already the group
	https://launchpad.net/~debian-tex-maint

> Here's my plan of attack. I've just created a Launchpad team (ubuntu-tex)
> [0].  There are a few MOTUs that are also interested. I think the goal
> should be to roughly be the Ubuntu equivalent of the debian-tex-maint group
> in Debian [1].  The work roughly involves three areas:
>
> 1. Triaging and forwarding TeX bugs to Debian. I've gone through all of the
> textex and texlive bugs on launchpad and was able to close/reject roughly
> 1/3 of them. We need to stay on top of them so people don't have to wait 6
> months to get a reply.

That would be great, but note the following: I already tried to
confirm our ml (debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org) as the contact email
for this group, so that all bugs are sent to the list (currently they
are sent only to me, and I loose them ;-)

I already wrote an email about this (attached), the problem is that the
list manager of our lists catches the confirmation email since it is
coming from bounces@launchpad.net (or so, see attached email).

But the same problem will happen with bug notices from, too, as allthe
bug emails I get have the header
	From bounces@canonical.com Wed May 02 03:05:16 2007
which trashes them.

Well. So if the Ubunto TeX Team forwards all these bugs then all this
would not be necessary ...

> 2. Testing and QA, we need to make sure that the TeX packages we end up
> with are as good as we can get. This might mean filing Freeze exceptions to
> get important bugfix releases or backporting fixes to the existing Ubuntu
> versions.

Feed back of patches welcomed.

> 3. Transitions. I think gutsy will mostly likely see a tetex -> texlive
> 2007 transition although I haven't seen any specs are talk about that.
> Maybe a good topic of discussion?

See Franks answer.

> Anyway,anybody who wants to help with the maintenance of TeX in Ubuntu can
> join ubuntu-tex and all skill levels are welcome. We need testers, bug
> triagers, and packagers. I've created a wiki page for the team [2] where we
> can start working up things to do.

Same is valid for Debian TeX Maintainers. We are short of people and
time, especially with the current change in Frank and my live
circumstances.

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>                    Università di Siena
GREAT TOSSON (n.)
A fat book containing four words and six cartoons which cost £6.95.