Re: Issues with and after upgrade to texlive

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:

> On Monday 16 April 2007 02:20, you wrote:
>> Below first some thoughts on the switch to texlive in general and next
>> a problem I'm now seeing with the installation guide.
>
> Decided to take a new approach on one sid system: purge and reinstall.
>
> I started by purging all tex related packages.
>
> After that I was left with the following files, which I removed as well:
> $ find /etc/texmf/ -type f
> /etc/texmf/fmt.d/01tetex.cnf

This might be a bug in tex-common or texlive-forgotwhat.

> /etc/texmf/dvips/uhc-base.map
> /etc/texmf/dvips/arphic.map

These might be leftovers from old versions of hlatex-fonts-base and
cjk-latex.  The files are not in that place in stable or newer, so I
guess this is not worth investigating (and it's also not likely to
become a problem).  Or wait, maybe they are just not conffiles, but
maintainer-script managed.

> /etc/texmf/dvipdfm/config/dvipdfmx.cfg

Also strange, I don't think it ever was in that place?  Norbert, any old
texlive experimental packages?

> /etc/texmf/updmap.d/10tipa.cfg

Since tipa was also purged, the fact that this file is still there is a
bug in that package's update routine from etch.

> /etc/texmf/updmap.d/10uhc-base.cfg

Looks like hlatex-fonts-base again.  Since it's not in the package
database, probably maintainer-script managed.

> After that I reinstalled everything and checked if anything had improved:
> - font files were saved in $HOME/.texmf-var again
> - building the Russian PDF using dvipdf still takes too long and still
>   gives the "too complex to print" errors

You've reported those issues to the BTS, haven't you?