Re: Issues with and after upgrade to texlive

On Friday 20 April 2007 09:09, Frank Küster wrote:
> > I just upgraded to texlive-base-bin (2007-5), which has "fix config
> > file handling (Closes: #419826)", but even after that the file is not
> > there.
>
> That's expected - "do not overwrite local modifications" also means not
> to resurrect a conf(ig)file which was locally removed.  You can get one
> at

But that would mean there is basically now way to fix installations that
are now broken because config files were not installed during an upgrade
while they should have been?
I very much doubt that my case is unique.

> http://people.debian.org/~frank/config.ps
> http://people.debian.org/~frank/pdftexconfig.tex

I have downloaded and installed these two files, but they do not solve the
problem with the wrong paper size and the margins.

On Friday 20 April 2007 10:58, Norbert Preining wrote:
> And this makes it even more strange, because our config file shifting
> did never touch this file, since it was NO config file in texlive 2005.

Note that I've never had texlive installed before. I only upgraded from
the Etch of tetex to texlive because of the transition.

> Who/What could have removed these two files?

To be honest, I don't think they were _removed_ as I also don't have them
on my remaining Etch system. I have no idea if they _should_ have been on
my Etch system or not, but at least not having them there never caused
any of the problems I'm now seeing.

It seems to me that they should have been _installed_ as "new
configuration files" at some point, but that failed to happen for some
reason. It also makes me wonder what other configuration files I may be
missing...

Shouldn't there also be a /etc/texmf/dvips/config/config.pdf for example?

Cheers,
FJP