Re: Draft spec for new dpkg "triggers" feature (v2, repost)

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> I don't think so. Usually, the lines "quoted" above are caused by
>> apt(itude) invoking dpkg like this:
>>
>> dpkg --configure lmodern other-font-package texlive-base-bin bar baz wrmft-foo
>>
>> And then the intended effect will be achieved.
>
> OK. In this case, that's acceptable. Not perfect nevertheless, because I
> think that in non-trivial upgrades, there are often several dpkg runs
> (e.g., unpacking, configuring, unpacking again, configuring again), and
> this would lead to mktexlsr & Co being run several times before
> texlive-base-bin is configured in the end, but it's still much better
> than the current situation.

Yes, but I think it's actually better this way.  If an upgrade is
non-trivial,  it's really desirable to have as many packages in an
"as-configured-as-possible" state, and not leave them in installed or
triggers-foo while trying the next bunch of packages.  Otherwise, the
non-trivial upgrade might become a non-trivial failure...

>> The reason can be extended by the scenario that I is installed after the
>> Ts (and no T depends on I, maybe Suggests or Enhances).
>>
>>     A package I may be installed and configured after and independently
>>     of packages T which would have activated one of its triggers, had it
>>     been installed earlier.  Therefore, I's postinst must do any work
>>     needed for trigger processing even when called with "configure".
>
> I agree, although it's not strictly speaking "trigger processing" in the
> last line, since there won't be any trigger in this case. It's rather
> something like "the work that needs to be done, and would have been done
> by trigger processing, if package I had not been in a state where it
> ignores triggers".

What about

s/work needed/work otherwise needed/, or even
s/work needed/work that would otherwise be needed/