Re: The Russian issue (was: Issues with and after upgrade to texlive)

Frans Pop wrote:

> Yes, installing that package does help and even makes the PDF looks better
> as the Russian fonts look "cleaner" (at least to my non-Russian eye).
> It also gets rid of all warnings and errors during the build.

Most viewers present Type1 fonts (ie fonts using a vector representation)
much better than bitmap fonts. There shouldn't be much difference in
printing, though.

> I will add cm-super to the build-deps for the manual (there goes another
> 60MB, sigh ;-)

At the cost of some typographical finesse, you could add

\usepackage[10pt]{type1ec}

to your document. To begin with, this would reduce the size of the
resulting PS/PDF file. Then you would have to lobby with Norbert to
provide a cm-super-minimal package, that only includes the 10pt design
sizes ...

> Indeed, because I also don't have cm-super installed on my Etch system, so
> there still is an unexplained change in behavior.
>
> AFAIK I have never modified any of the TeX configuration files (finding
> them largely incomprehensible) and I also frequently build the manual
> using a clean pbuilder environment anyway, so I very much doubt that that
> is a factor.

In another email you wrote that configuration files like config.ps etc are
missing. This is really, really bad and it does not surprise me that you
get such error messages under this conditions. However, I am not really
up-to-date wrt texlive-packaging, hence i have no idea how it could
happen, that these configuration files are missing.

cheerio
ralf